Sunday, March 25, 2018

Professional Evolution: My Work Journey

Few months before my graduation in March 2012, I was overwhelmed by various job offers, most of which came through referrals (thanks to my prior experience as a "student assistant/working scholar"). While graciously declining most, I chose to pursue a path aligned with my genuine interests --- teaching ESL to foreign nationals in one of a well known  English school in Bacolod City. Driven by my love for teaching and a fondness for Korean dramas, I signed on this contractual yet fulfilling journey. 


However, "fun alone does not pay the bills", so, by the end of my contract, I applied for a full time office job and was hired as an I.T Staff/Executive Assistant at ANP, aligning my professional career with my academic background (I thought it was). Within five months, I was promoted. I assumed the role of acting HR/Admin Incharge after the resignation of our HR Manager. Despite my excitement, having on my shoulders four job roles with a minimum salary proved to be a challenging feat. After seven months, my employment was terminated due to internal challenges. It wasn't a graceful exit.


I, then, had the chance to serve as an I.T/Encoder/Campaign Staff for a well respected politician in Bacolod city. I had aspired to secure a position in the LGU, but unfortunately, he lost the election that year.


I re-entered the field of ESL teaching, where I stayed for just three months. It was only a short contract due to a low enrollment count. The school experienced reduced enrollment as many students spent only a few months in the Philippines during the winter season in Korea. Imagine the sepanx, again and again?


Unwilling to continue a cycle of contractual work, I applied for a permanent position as a full-time computer teacher in JBLCF. The offer of a substantial salary, stability, and prestige (?) was a compelling factor. It was a permanent full time position job; BUT, my day-1 into this new job was met with a great culture shock--- an environment predominantly comprising of... wait for it---male students (ehhh). Due to this, I had to end the contract abruptly. It was an "AWOL," and honestly, I wasn't proud of it.


I faced a period of unemployment for few weeks; until I explored the booming BPO industry, but it was a brief tenure at Panasiatic, where I stayed for 7 months. Panasiatic, tho, taught me valuable lessons in life. While I enjoy the company of my new found friends, it wasn't enough for someone who is seeking stability and better opportunities. Ambisyosa ta bai?


Then after, I went to Japan and worked as a private ESL Tutor --- my dream job in my dream country! It was a dream-come-true, an Otaku's dream!  Enticed by a dream job that offered generous compensation with minimal effort. Yet, again, homesickness got into me, prompting my return to the Philippines after a brief period.


So I am back and I rejoined the call center industry. I worked at Convergys for three months. My tenure was quick due to pregnancy. Then, shortly after giving birth, I joined TelePerformance, even though I was still in the postpartum phase. But my stay in Teleperformance was cut short as well due to a toxic environment. It was MARK a name I won't soon forget. HAHA


As an individual who finds discomfort in doing nothing, I tried the resale business of cupcakes and pastries. The experience was enjoyable, and I successfully gathered a significant customer base. I found satisfaction in a profit of Php 50.00 per box, even though the task required strenuous efforts to deliver all ordered packages throughout the city. Despite the challenging nature being a reseller, I persevered, but it didn't last.


Finally, on November 25, 2015, I took a big leap into the world of real estate--- a profession that was quite different from my prior experience.


Now rooted to the dynamic world of real estate, my journey takes on a fresh narrative--- now having limitless opportunities, a balanced familial life, and personal growth. Now 101% committed to a profession I've come to love. Thank you, LR.


As I share my work journey, may we all be reminded of my life motto, "Le vent se lève, il faut tenter de vivre" ("The wind is rising, we must try to live") by Paul Valéry—a guiding light reminding us to brave the challenges and live our lives fully despite the winds of change.     

No comments:

Post a Comment